Search:

User: Password:

Anime-Source.Com: Forums

Anime-Source.com :: View topic - Location -> North America (West Coast)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Location -> North America (West Coast)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 196, 197, 198

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime-Source.com Forum Index -> Introductions/Personals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonHime
newbie!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anime Expo is all you ever need in an Anime con, that's all I can tell ya. I would highly recommend making the trip at least once.

Mountains are totally awesome, I live in them myself, so I hear ya!
Xristyan
THE Forumer®
THE Forumer®

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is anime expo always held at the same place yearly??

I'm actually a newbie myself in this whole convention thing... this wil be my third year going and its to the same convention so I can't really compare it to any other place, aside from the reports I get from the other staffers that have gone to other conventions...
newbie!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've gone every year, my first one was in 2000. It's jumped around a little bit, but it's always in the LA area.

2000 - Disneyland Hotel
2001-2002 - Long Beach Convention Center
2003-2006 - Anaheim Convention Center
2007 - Long Beach Convention Center

This year is scheduled to be at the Los Angeles Convention Center. And rumor has it AX has signed a 5 year or 10 year contract or something like that with the LACC. It's always on the weekend of July 4th though, which makes getting the time off for work a little easier.

Anime Expo was the first and is the largest anime convention in the US.

http://anime-expo.org

Anime companies actually plan releases around AX every year.

They've pulled big names like CLAMP, Yu Watase, I could go on for a long time with the GOHs. There are lots of people that come from Japan just to be attendees though too, it's a really big deal anime convention.

It is a weekend of win every year and that's why I keep going.
Xristyan
THE Forumer®
THE Forumer®

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds really nice...

So i'm guessing next year would be at the LACC so I can iron out my sched a little easier if the place is already designated...

I wonder who would be doing the report on it among the AS staffers... Very Happy
newbie!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah next year should be at the LACC. You can register and get a hotel and everything through the AX website though, and we get group rate hotel discounts. The biggest thing would probably be to either fly or drive down here. (And decide if you want to do anything else while in town.) ^_^
Xristyan
THE Forumer®
THE Forumer®

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm I guess I can opt for the hotel thing... but then I also have relatives in LA so I might crash at their place... oh but, how far is Glendale from the LACC???
newbie!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glendale is just north of downtown, so the distance isn't far. It's definitely doable. Probably about a 20 minute drive each way, including getting a parking spot.

However...Anime Expo is always best when you stay in the hotels - because the con goes 24/7 for 4 days and there is stuff going on all night. The main events like the AMVs, the Masquerade and AX Idol go until like 1 AMish and it's nice to be able to just walk across the street and crash. Also if you get a lot in the dealer room, it's much nicer to just go up to your hotel room than to try to hunt down your car wherever it's parked, in the mid-summer LA heat. You get some perks for staying in a hotel for event tickets and stuff like that too, but the best part is being able to go watch anime all night in your pajamas if you want. XD

I've done AX commuting down from my house and I've done it staying in the hotels. Having a local bed across the street is 100 times better. We live pretty close enough, but we always get a room anyways.
Xristyan
THE Forumer®
THE Forumer®

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, then a hotel it is... Very Happy

yeah, i haven't really tapped into the fullest potential of a convention, I always end up going home some time in the afternoon... so the night events are missed... which includes the AMVs, Idols and concerts by GOHs...

I will probably do the same again this year... Razz

what I'm really after is getting pics of all the cosplay and see how good people can get... Very Happy
newbie!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the going home in the afternoon bit for a few years too, some people just kind-of get more into it I think. ^_^ But the difference in not going home, and really just doing the con - it's like night and day. Ever since I did the room, I've never gone back to not staying there, it's that much better. ^_^

Cosplay is awesome, but the main events like the AMVs and such are as popular as they are for a reason. XD One you try them, you can't go back though. XD
phalseprofet
Conscript

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could crash at my place X, Wink

I'm still wondering whether I should go or not.

I think it would be a lot of fun.
Xristyan
THE Forumer®
THE Forumer®

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phalse>> you should go... Very Happy I would recommend going to a con... Very Happy

though I can't say the same for myself, as I have mentioned the lack of resources for me to got there hinders me from doing so... Very Happy

moon>> I have gone into the AMV shows, it's nice and all... but I guess because of the scheduling at our con i feel as though I am missing out on other events if I stick around for the AMV shows... Confused
newbie!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is that. AX always has a lot going on, so you do have to pick and choose what to do on the schedule. I usually pick the AMVs and the Masquerade over other stuff because I laugh my arse off at all the funny stuff. XD Though, from what I've heard from others that have been to other anime cons, AX AMV and Masquerade (and everything else) are better than at other cons. >_> I don't know personally if that's really true or not. I know they're awesome here, but better than others? Can't say, I honestly don't know, and I take what other people say with a grain of salt. So I dunno maybe at other cons it is better to go to the other stuff? :/

I just got back from AX yesterday afternoon, the whole con was EPIC! lol XD Seriously, it was my best AX yet, and I've been to 9 in a row now. The LACC is awesome and the Nokia Theater is the best, I loves it. ♥
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime-Source.com Forum Index -> Introductions/Personals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 196, 197, 198
Page 198 of 198

Jump to: