Search:

User: Password:

Anime-Source.Com: Forums

Anime-Source.com :: View topic - What makes you try a new anime?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What makes you try a new anime?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime-Source.com Forum Index -> Anime General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savara
newbie!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: What makes you try a new anime? Reply with quote

Basically what the title says... What convinces you to try a new series?

I was thinking about this because at times I have the most random reasons to start watching something ... For example, I started watching Utawarerumono because it has such a long 'one word' name (now I sort of know Japanese it isn't that amazing anymore, but still).

Usually the reasons for watching something are a bit more.. normal though - interesting summaries, good reviews or a friend that recommends it.

But what are your usual or most weird reasons to watch something?
Kimmie-chan
Sunshine Pie
Sunshine Pie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the anime I pick are based off reviews I read... I tend to pick up anime Himistu write a spotlight for. I've noticed most anime she enjoys I enjoy also ^^

Thought usually I see a title somewhere or a picture, I do a little bit of re-search and decide. Most of the times I land on something I really like. Other times I've tried to d/l whatever new anime had the most seeders ... not always a good result unfortunately, so I don't do that much any more.

Another way I pick up anime is the A-S banners ~ that's how I found my obsession for the past 2-3 years Maria-sama ga miteru. ^^
shoPanda
newbie!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started watching anime (thanks to stumbling upon AS), I pretty much browsed through the Spotlight Articles and then moved on to watch the top rated animes in the AS review database.

Nowadays I watch almost all new anime I can find, except mecha and a few other genres. So my method for finding new anime is mostly based on going through their genres and excluding those that don't interest me at all. I've found lots of awesome anime this way, including my favorite title Honey & Clover which I wouldn't have found by just searching for anime in my favorite genres (horror, psychological and gore).
trueline
Pure Hope

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screnshot was the one and only reason that persuade me to watch the anime until I found this A-S and started reading the synopises and others reviews. If the storyline caught my attention then I watch it and if not then I go search others.

Actually I don't pay attention to the top rated animes cause most of the animes listed here are my worst animes ever.
xenocrisis0153
A-Source Admin
A-Source Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like seeing previews of the character-art... if I think the main-character is wicked cute, I'll give the first few episodes a try to see if the story catches my interest... this worked really well for me after I saw an advanced-preview of Mikuru Asahina promoting the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

I also go by studio. I'll watch anything by KyotoAnimation, Shaft, and Production I.G. I used to include Gonzo in my list, but they've been pumping out a lot of crud lately.
bonjob
newbie!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was always convinced to
try new anime series because maybe
i'm not yet satisfied on the anime i've watched
in the past. ahaha. Very Happy
red255
Jikan Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally fansubbers share a certain 'taste' in what they sub as a group. the translater wants to sub series B its sort of like the stuff he's subbed before, in at the very least its passed the groups standards.

....So I'll watch the first couple episodes of something that group subbed and decide to keep up.

Beyond that I look at the series decription when the year is gonna start and make a decision on what I'll check out.
inqArk
newbie!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I base my decision on a few factors. For older shows I first look at the few screen shots I can find. If they don't look bad then I move on to reviews. I am not a huge fan of shounen or cutesy chibi stuff so if i see that I pretty much skip it. So animation and reviews for the older shows.

For the newer ones, which I find out about from the upcoming list A-S always puts up (WOOT), I check out the poster they put up and read a small synopsis. If it gets passed my initial impression I give it 2 - 3 eps since I know some shows take a few to kick into gear.

I nearly always watch the anime's adapted from manga I read. If I read through the manga then i know I'll like the anime. Disappointing sometimes though (Kure-nai :/)
Scamp
newbie!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first watched anime it was all based on reviews I read. Sometimes I end up completely disagreeing with the reviews once I've watched the show (like a Welcome to the NHK review which said I should watch it if I wanted something laid back. God how wrong that review was) but that was how things were.

Then I picked based on what anime was highly rated because all too often I found that all my favorite anime were highly rated, such as Baccano. When it comes to a new season it's simply whatever doesn't look completely awful I'll give it a shot.

Nowadays though I've heard of so many anime that it simply comes down to looking at my to-watch list and picking one at random. Although I do try to find if any anime is being streamed legally and then watch that but the options are limited if you don't live in the US
Mellowthrasher
Gokenin Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i'll say the art that's put into it gets me into the "lets just take a peek" mode.

Depending on boredom or free-time that's when the Otaku rader goes on alert for me.
mstice
Ronin Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of the Source's annual favorite anime poll. I always check out the new listings for each season and I'll check out some of the new shows based on screen shots and synopsis or if they're related to past anime that I enjoyed, but a bunch of shows inevitably slip by me and I find out about them in the yearly poll. It also helps because it provides some kind of review/rating for many anime that no one has reviewed. Which brings me to my next point: if you've watched an anime that has yet to be reviewed PLEASE REVIEW IT! I didn't find out about Xam'd until the 2008 favorites poll came out where it finished 9th, yet I was the first person to review it. The great thing about Anime Source is that it's a community of anime fans helping each other out, and part of that is letting people know about the exceptional shows that are out there. Sorry if it seems like I'm chastising people for being lazy (I'm the last person who should be doing that), I just want to see everything this site/community has to offer achieve its full potential.
LeTensai
Heimin (Commoner)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was a kid I just watched pretty much everything that came up on TV

When I got more into the actual anime genre back in high school I actually pretty much downloaded first episodes of every animes that didnt look to childish

afther highschool I checked them mostly by studio and direction staff ghibli, BONES, gonzo, etc etc etc

now I have a 500gb HDD of unwatched anime + a dozen or so unwatched boxset + olds favorties that I rewatch. Count 1 serie/month I have enough stock to keep my full for the rest of my live -.-
erex
newbie!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always check the A-S reviews before i try to watch an anime.
if no one has submitted a review for it yet ill just go check the comments at streaming video sites.
Ex. Veoh.com, youtube.com

i pay no attention on what type of show an an anime claims to be... coz mostly its biased... audience opinion is far more accurate, well.. for me at least.
Section12
newbie!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually it's a recommendation from someone who has already seen it or has read the manga and wants me to check out the anime rendition.

There are also times when a friend has played the game based on the anime or vice versa, though this is rare.

Of course this could backfire as there are times you would check out a title someone absolutely loves only to to find out you hate it. But, I guess you need to go through at least a few stinkers to get seasoned.

I have a similar problem as LeTensai, in that I've have boxesets and downloaded series upon requests to check them out without actually watching them. But I'm determined to watch every single one... When I have the time...
amberlewis
newbie!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is pretty difficult for me to tell you exact reason that convince me to watch another anime.Because i have so many factors in my mind.I see the previews and tailers that come on tv and internet before the coming season of anime.Secondly on my friend recommendation i started watching another anime.Recently my good friend recommend me to watch cowboy bebop series.i like spike spiegel character from this show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime-Source.com Forum Index -> Anime General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: