Search:

User: Password:

Anime-Source.Com: Forums

Anime-Source.com :: View topic - PC Support for newb and experienced
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PC Support for newb and experienced
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jsy3k
Cute Girl Lover
Cute Girl Lover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boredom wrote:
Recently, my computer has been crashing more often then it ever has. It usually crashes when I have multiple applications open and then adjusting the volume using the short cut on my keyboard. I was wondering if the cause of these crashes is because of the lack of ram that is needed to process everything? Like since it isn't able to process everything and can't handle the strain, it restarts.

Please post your PCs specification. That includes:

- Processor type
- Clock Speed
- RAM size
- OS
- Service Pack of your OS
- Other details that you can provide

Innocent Tranquility

The Smile that defies all thoughts of rationality
[/
Boredom
Conscript

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
System Type: X86-based PC
Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 12 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2210 Mhz
Total Physical Memory: 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory: 123.02 MB
Total Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 1.95 GB
Page File Space: 1,011.22 MB

Also, when I restart my computer some times, after everythings loaded, it seems to just hang on my desktop. I've tried to pull up the task manager and see if there was anything wrong, but when I tried, it took about 5 minutes before it showed up. Even then I couldn't really detect much and thus had to do a hard restart in order to fix the problem.

Edit: I'm also having a little problem with Winamp, whenever I open Winamp I get the messages:

[IMG:150:66:93bdba9c11]http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7505/winampproblemla3.th.gif[/img:93bdba9c11]

If anyone can help me with this, it would be much appreciated. It's getting a little annoying whenever I open Winamp.
subbergod
Naginata Ashigaru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It usually crashes when I have multiple applications open and then adjusting the volume using the short cut on my keyboard.

You might need more memory. Also, it seems foolish to ask, but have you run both Ad-Aware, and Spybot S and D lately, along with a virsus scan. Those bugs can really hang up your machine. Also try running Norton Windoctor, it is really inexpensive it fixes Windows problems.

Personally, If this didn't work, I would just back up my stuff and re-install windows. I could probably figure it out eventually but a wipe is much faster. It's almost time to upgrade to Vista anyway.

[IMG:197:171:926ff528ec]http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/5816/awardjpgjd7.jpg[/img:926ff528ec]
Jsy3k
Cute Girl Lover
Cute Girl Lover

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boredom wrote:
OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
System Type: X86-based PC
Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 12 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2210 Mhz
Total Physical Memory: 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory: 123.02 MB
Total Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 1.95 GB
Page File Space: 1,011.22 MB

Also, when I restart my computer some times, after everythings loaded, it seems to just hang on my desktop. I've tried to pull up the task manager and see if there was anything wrong, but when I tried, it took about 5 minutes before it showed up. Even then I couldn't really detect much and thus had to do a hard restart in order to fix the problem.

Edit: I'm also having a little problem with Winamp, whenever I open Winamp I get the messages:

[IMG:150:66:7752fe612a]http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7505/winampproblemla3.th.gif[/img:7752fe612a]

If anyone can help me with this, it would be much appreciated. It's getting a little annoying whenever I open Winamp.

A good sign that your harddisk may have issue. Please try to reinstall and see whether that resolves the issue. If not, then you may want to change your harddisk.

Innocent Tranquility

The Smile that defies all thoughts of rationality
[/
subbergod
Naginata Ashigaru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A good sign that your harddisk may have issue.

Hardisk? Well, mabey... but the symptoms sound like a damged windows problem. Instead of wiping your disk, just run Norton disk doctor. It fixes HD errors for the most part.

[IMG:197:171:926ff528ec]http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/5816/awardjpgjd7.jpg[/img:926ff528ec]
Boredom
Conscript

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, its stopped happening, I think it might have been a lack of ram causing it, even now I'm using approximately 80% of my memory. Gotta get some ram soon. XD Thank you all for your help.
Boredom
Conscript

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question. Is transmission rate your upload rate?
thugangel
Ronin Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, it can be a rate of any transferring that's going on. You would have to be more specific on where you're seeing this thing. It could be your download speed, your upload speed, or an all-around total upload rate, say, in a Bit Torrent. Tell where you're seeing this and someone might be able to help you.
Boredom
Conscript

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's this optimization tool where it asks for your transmission rate in order to see what changes it can do in order to improve your internet speed.
razor_alchemist
Yari Ashigaru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick question, I want to get rid of all the extra, unnecessary processes running in the background of my computer when I start it up so that it will run a bit faster and smoother, and so things I don't need don't take up memory. I know I can end them manually via the taskmanager, and that I can go to run-> msconfig-> startup tools. I just don't know what is safe to remove from the startup and what is not.

Lets say I have imekrmig.exe set to run when my computer starts up. imekrmig.exe is a process belonging to the Microsoft Office Suite, and is responsible for the input of alternate alphabet languages such as Arabic, Chinese and Korean. (something i looked up) If I make it so it doesn't run when my computer starts up, will it not start up at all, even if I open microsoft office suite and need to use it? Or can I get rid of it and have it run only when I run microsoft office?

Finally is there any specific way to tell needed processes from unnecessary ones, or do I need to research them all individually? Oh and would it be ok to turn off my antivirus software (Symantec Internet Security Suite) while playing a game, I mean it takes a lot of processing power, and I doubt I'll get a virus from an online game (one which you pay for and must have its own security, like WoW, Counter Strike, CoH, ect.)

Sorry, guess I had a lot more questions than I thought 0_0 (and I thought this would be quick lol) Thanks a ton to anyone who can help me.
Boredom
Conscript

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as for process, I use TuneUp Utilities and their startup manager. It gives info on most of the process running and give a recommendation if you should keep it or you can safely disable it, though there are some process that it doesn't recognize, which you would then have to research up separately. As for the Anti-Virus, I suppose it should be fine for you to turn it off, considering the types of games you've listed, but it would probably be a good idea to keep a firewall on at the very least. Just my two-cents.
Kaspar
Conscript

Location: The Fantisy world in my head that is free of sadness and hate, and away from my depressed life

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razor_alchemist

From my experience, windows has several precatunary measures that woulnt allow you to disable needed programs form the msconfig start up menue (technically it will but whenyou restart your computer after it asks you you will see that some of the programs are still checked these aret he one that are required to start up -more techinally you can disable them but you either need to change the restrictions through regedit or there are other programs on the internet that allow you to overide all windows safty precutions, like letting you delete your syste32 file with is a hughly bad idea unless you dont want your comp to start up-) Very Happy

When depresion or anger hits my music helps me feel nothing, its the greatest feeling in the world, what does happyness feel like, I may never know, but I do know that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anime-Source.com Forum Index -> Tech Area All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Page 25 of 25

Jump to: